16 December, 2010

No Sugar for me please (unless of course it would offend you , than i must eat)

Christmas is a great time to go sugar free, don't you think? That's what i figured.........so when Emily came to me and said her belly has been hurting a lot, along with a few other issues and it always hurts worse after she eats sweets, i told her the only thing a mother can say. Here, have some sugar, it'll fix everything.
NOT!! I told her she really needs to go off sugar for a while and she thought it was a great idea. I reminded her that it's really hard over Christmas but she declared it was worth it to help her feel better. I looked into her sweet, determined eyes and sighed, because i knew it was terribly unfair to be gulping sugar down in front of my little best friend, while she patiently refrained, so we made a deal. No sugar til Christmas eve for the two Weaver females. There is no way i'm skipping my Christmas pie or Christmas eve hot chocolate and candy canes, so i figured 2 weeks of no sugar should help at least a little. We formally shook hands, standing by the refrigerator, declaring ourselves sugar free. And today we baked Christmas cookies. Sugar cutouts, with creamy white frosting, sprinkled with red, green and white sugar...and peanut butter chocolate chip. My teeth ached from wanting to bite into the soft warm angels and trees. I tried to convince Emily that we should at least each share one but she said no way. I obeyed and chewed harder on my BlackJack gum. (i love BlackJack gum, it's just like chewing black licorice until tasteless) But we made it through the day and it wasn't until this evening that it hit me. I haven't had a desire to take a nap since i went off sugar. It's been two days and both days i never had that midafternoon slump where all i can think of is my cozy bed. Nope, both days i kept working without giving it much thought, only to realize by evening that i barely sat all day. I'm ready to drop dead by evening, but i'm not near as draggy during the day. We'll see how we feel by Christmas....who knows, maybe by then my will power will be that amazing that i'll be able to sniff sugar and turn away in contempt. And maybe pigs will fly too.

6 comments:

  1. oh how i can feel for u... what a time to go sugar free:( am doing the same thing. am trying to get rid of bad eczema on my hands. ive made it 2 days! want to go for 1 week! so just think of me .. misery luvs company..
    anna stauffer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so sorry for you! I tried taking the twins off of sugar for one week and it was so hard! It's everywhere you turn! Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no better incentive than a daughter. :) Her sweet attitude puts me to shame and to be honest, it's not as hard as you would think. Once i made the commitment mentally, the biggest part of the battle was won. And the instant weight loss helps too. ;)

    And don't forget the most important part. PRAYER! I believe God cares even about going sugar free, so Emily and i prayed together that God would give us strength.

    ~Darla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! You're an inspiration... but not quite enough of an inspiration to inspire me to action. heh. Maybe in another week or so. *sigh* I won't start with my woes. (They really aren't woes, anyway.) It is the end of the week and everything is blown out of proportion in my mind.

    Anyway, hooray for weekends and for the practice of self control! HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is, "Yeah!!" I'm right with you, or at least trying to be...(And I promise you that I won't sit on your shoulder and tempt you with a chocolate covered cheesecake!- sorry, couldn't resist that one!) Now, if I could just convince MY daughter to go off of sugar with me!!! Thanks for the reminder of God's involvements in these "little" things too- way too often I do them in my own strength.
    Love ya, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Cheryl, i thought of you this week and was thoroughly ashamed of myself. :) Those cheesecakes were good though!

    ~Darla

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.