06 August, 2009

Peanut butter breakfast cake and wife saving husbands..........

I don't know about you but i just can't get excited about leftover oatmeal for breakfast but i really don't want to waste 2-3 cups of sticky, gooey oatmeal. Enter this recipe.

Peanut Butter Bars with Leftover Oatmeal

2 cups leftover oatmeal, cold and slimy is fine

1/2 cup butter, softened (coconut oil is also yum)

1 cup sweetener…sugar, sucanat, etc….(or honey- if you half the amount, and it doesn’t get the batter too moist)

1 egg

1 cup whole grain flour…wheat, spelt, etc….(Yes, these work with rice flour if you need!)(maybe a bit of extra flour if you used honey to sweeten)

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/3 cup peanut butter (we like this better doubled)

1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter, sweetener and eggs in a bowl. Add oats and other ingredients; mix well. Spread into greased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake at 350′ for 10-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack; cut into bars. Yield 18(small) servings.

I made it for the first time for breakfast and it was delicious! I used rice flour and it did get mushy when you added milk, but I'm guessing it would stay together much better if you used whole wheat flour, i just didn't have any ground. However, the flavor was wonderful and it was perfect eating it straight out of the pan. The kids were impressed that they could eat cake for breakfast and i was impressed that i could get rid of some ooey-gooey oatmeal. (you can buy gluten free oatmeal if you wish)

For all of those who are wondering why i'm using rice flour, i have my reasons. For one, i have several gluten free friends, so i like to try out recipes that they can eat. For another, i like that we're not eating wheat all the time. Your chances of becoming gluten intolerant are much higher when you eat wheat consistently, although if you soak your wheat it's not as big of a deal. However, i get sick of soaking every blessed thing and actually prefer using coconut flour since i can whip up a dessert a lot faster than Sally Fallon can. While she's waiting for her wheat to properly soak, i'm on my second helping of cake. And to be brutally honest, we have definitely let some of our food standards slip a bit since we moved. I think it's the peer pressure......... :)I also have had a harder time with this pregnancy, simply feeling more exhausted and weary, so my man steps in and forbids me to make hamburger buns, etc. He buys them and i thank him gratefully. My obsessive side would make me a slave, but he frees me from that bondage and goes grocery shopping. It's amazing how a husband can save a wife from herself, but that's another whole post. Did i ever mention on here that i love my husband? Okay, i'll stop before i make everyone jealous. If you need me, i'll be on the front porch, drinking a cup of coffee and gazing at my beautiful Juniata county view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.