18 April, 2011

Crying Wind.......or Shooting Bull?

Ever read this book? http://www.amazon.com/Crying-Wind-Linda-Stafford/dp/0890812632

I read it years ago and when i saw it at a thrift store for 10 cents, i jumped at the chance to read it. Which i did.....in one afternoon. I was blessed and read the ending, where she meets Christ and becomes radically saved, with tears. I couldn't wait to read it to my children.

It will now be finding itself at the burn barrel, feeding a happy fire.

As i often do after i read a book, i go online and check up on the author. Actually, the uneasiness began when i read the forward and realized that the book wasn't completely based on her lifestory, but was based on historical facts of people she "knew." I felt left down. I don't read novels, especially "christian" ones, since i've read many books that are 100% true and powerful. However, if it was still based on truth..........most christian novels, (there may be exceptions but i don't have time to waste and find out) are simply another person's fantasy and i've gotten delivered from fantasy.  So i had a niggling doubt but figured i'd go online and find out where she's at today. What i found out surprised me. Seems after her books became best sellers, (Moody Press's no.#1 best selling book) it was discovered that the author actually was a fraud. She never lived on an Indian reservation and what's more, she doesn't have a drop of Indian blood in her. Bummer. But hey, she's a really good author and it points a person to Christ, so what's the big deal. Well, it was a big enough deal for Moody Press to drop her book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crying_Wind. And......http://teampyro.blogspot.com/2010/07/evangelical-bunko-artists.html

She actually pretends to be someone she isn't and in my opinion, that's deceit. Lying. I have no desire to read any more of her books. And i was reminded again, that i, as a human woman, am very easily deceived. If it involves cozy feelings and better yet, spirituality, I'm vulnerable. Thankfully God has given me different forms of protection, but one of the biggest ones is in the form of a clear headed, clear thinking male, called Marlin. And to think that after i finished the book, just today, that i thought secretly that he needs to become more "evangelistic" and less "earthly"........... I am properly humbled and once again resting in the protection of my "earthly" man.

Edited to add: I feel like i should add a postscript about fiction. I do make exceptions for books that are accurately based on historical facts, as long as it's based on facts, NOT cheesy romance. My preference by far, however, is books written by or about people such as Corrie Ten Boom, Amy Carmichael, Lillian Trasher........etc. It's not that haven't experienced a wide array of reading material. Before salvation i read books that would curl your hair......i also realize i take a radical stand on reading material, far more than most conservatives, but for that i make no apology. :)

3 comments:

  1. Argh! SO not FAIR! I cried a LOT at that book... and was waiting to find my own copy. eh. Oh well. Thanks for the research report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.I read that book years ago and thought it was good.Bummer that she turned out to be a fraud.I won't bother reading it again.(Yes,I am one of those people who rereads books,the good ones that is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I saw your comment on Jessica's blog. I thought I'd take a look at your blog.

    We too are very picky about books. It is nice to know others are out there that are trying to be very discerning about the books they allow their children to read. Thanks for the encouragment!

    Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.