08 July, 2011

Matthew 25:34-40

She paces the floor, upset and frustrated at a world she no longer understands. She alternates between crying and angrily telling herself or an imaginary child to "stop it." I find myself getting frustrated, weary at the never ending emotional strain of trying to handle a "child" who is 62. Even music, the one thing that never failed before, doesn't help her to escape the trap of her life.

And i find myself wishing it was over. That God would take her. Not just for her sake but for the rest of ours who daily walk this tortuous path with her.

The music, that didn't work, is still playing quietly in the office, and it's then that i hear the song. Jesus Himself is standing in my kitchen, cutting through the frustration, hurt and fatigue in my soul with His gentle words. Tears sting my eyes and i know once again that He is walking this path with us. I go to find my mother, to gently comb her hair and to tell her that i love her. My King has spoken and once again my heart is at rest.

"Truly, truly I say unto you, whatever you do, to the least of these, you do it unto me......."
 

9 comments:

  1. He is with you in every frustrating moment. WHen you see Him in heaven, she will be standing with Him with perfect clarity of mind and you will throw your crown at His feet & give Him the glory for caring for her with such a loving duaghter as you. You *can* do this because He has made you able....
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue to give you strength & compassion as you help care for your Mother.Alzheimers/dementia is such a sad disease.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you!May God give you new strength for every day,for every trial and for every new curve in the road of life! ~Rhoda Detweiler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers sent your way, Darla! Remember that He will never give you more than you can handle! Many blessings to you, Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darla, I don't have adequate words to say; you are walking through something I've mot even imagined. But, you are walking through it.

    "When you walk through the waters, I will be there.
    When you go through the fire, you will not be burned."

    Though the waters threaten to overwhelm and fire singes, stinging your eyes with tears, YES! He is with you! Changing you, growing you, stretching you... and loving through you. Yes. When you give your mom a cup of cold water, it is unto Jesus. When you gently comb her hair, reassuring her of your love, it is unto Jesus.

    This season, though painful, so painful and hard and full of questions... it is for a time.

    I will continue to pray for you, my friend. And I know you will endure til the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you each one of you for your kind words.

    It's not an easy season of my life, and yet it is a rich one. Only God could manage that. :)

    ~Darla

    ReplyDelete
  7. so good to 'hear' from you again, Darla but am sorry for the season of sorrow & suffering...it 'has' to be a lonely road...I have a dear pen pal who went thru many yrs. w/ a MIL living on their farm needing 'round' the clock care which meant her own 'sense' of privacy was lost & also she & her fam. took their faithful turns...Now she's been gone 'round' 2 yrs. or so but in the last yr. her own dear mum who she's very close to is also 'stricken' & she has in a sense 'lost' her....I met her w/ Kathryn last mo. & as her dau. had told me, her social manners are still good & she can converse but she no longer asks 'Roseann' about 'her' day......only those ppl walking that path have any clue....Bless you for looking for & 'finding' the treasures!~~Pauline ( thank you for the 'greetings')

    ReplyDelete
  8. hugs n many blessings on your week.
    love you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Darla,
    Praying for you right now after reading this very touching post. God is faithful. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you and how you have been forced to lean on Him.
    I've missed you and thought of you often since I made my blog private. I would love to include you with an invite if you are interested. Just let me know at csenecal1@verizon.net
    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.