17 March, 2016

A Cup of Water

     It wasn't such a bad dream, really. To reach the lost with the gospel of Jesus. To weep with them and to live life with them. No matter that they were African and i was American. I had always longed to serve somewhere foreign......far, far away. And then we moved to Kenya and my dreams of what a missionary woman's life would look like slowly crumbled and i found myself weeping by my lonesome instead of with the Africans. There came a day, when i was hosting guests once again and cooking food for yet another white person, that i apologized to Jesus for failing Him and for failing what i always thought missionary life should be. He ministered to my heart that day in that rocking chair with the broken back and dusty cover. He showed me that no matter how lowly and humble the job, if it's done in His name, it then becomes something so much more in His eyes. My heart was comforted and i went back to cooking rice and beans, and wiping dirty little faces. We left for the states several months later and while i was at peace with how my journey in Africa turned out, i still didn't understand.

   I didn't understand until last week while sitting in a basement in the heart of New York City. We were at missionary de-briefing and re-entry at the Mission Training Center under DNI, and it was then that i caught at least a small reason of why my time in Africa was so far removed from what i had always imagined it would look like. I didn't lead one person to Christ.......never so much as led a Bible study. What i didn't realize was that my Heavenly Father, in his mercy, wanted to teach me to serve in the smallest of ways in order to show me one of the greatest ways to live.





   As i processed those two years in Kenya out loud last week, my mouth fell open as i realized what God saved me from. I went with a pure heart but a rather condescending one. I think it's a common enough trap to fall into it and many of us are guilty of it. We mean well but subconsciously we think we are going with the answers to hand out to the poor savages who haven't any at all. Instead of humbling ourselves to serve, we go to be served even if we would never in a million years recognize it. We don't understand their culture, nor do we really try to, and they certainly don't understand ours and we end up playing a game where everyone's the loser. If i would've done many "spiritual" things, i'm afraid i would've came back insufferable, my spiritual ego inflated and my heart quietly (or not so quietly) condescending towards the people at "home" who never had the courage to leave at all. Instead, i was allowed to serve Jesus through a cup of cold water........over and over and over again. I came back humbled and with few answers. However, i do know this.

   Jesus WILL build His church and He needs servants to do that. Humble servants without all the answers but with teachable hearts. God will not be robbed of His glory by anyone, and that includes middle aged, missionary women in dresses who have lofty dreams of reaching people for His name. I am now reaching the place where my heart is worshiping Him in allowing me to learn those painful, exhausting lessons that has taken so much out of me. He is a good Daddy who has been, and still is, tenderly rubbing away my tears, pruning those sharp edges of spiritual pride, and teaching me the joys of serving Him in the humblest of ways. In my heart is still a bit of a longing to climb back into an airplane and try it again. I have absolutely no idea if i will ever be given that privilege. For now, i will hand that cup of water to whoever He asks me to and in doing so, rejoice that i am allowed the honor.



9 comments:

  1. So true! I feel like I am learning this same lesson too. Sometimes the devil sits on our shoulders with discouragement about how much we are not accomplishing for Christ when the thing Christ cares about the most is how much I am growing spiritually as I serve Him each day in the little seemingly "insignificant" things. Thank you for sharing your heart. I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jessi. Your spirit through your blog is a blessing and an encouragement to me.
      ~Darla

      Delete
  2. Wow sister. I love you, and your heart. So thankful you had a time of healing in New York. -Natasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Natasha, how we miss you guys!! You were such a vital part of Africa in a beautiful way and we think of you often and continue to pray strength and grace in your lives as you serve the "least of these" in your home.
      ~Darla

      Delete
  3. Hi, friend! Your words are, as usual, beautiful and encouraging.
    It has been an honor watching you as you've traveled on this journey of yours - through joy and sorrow, questions and wonderings, faith and praise.
    Time to get back to serving cups of water... preparing food... wiping noses... and the lot, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm thinking that its serving in the little ways that get exhausting......but where true service really starts. someone told us recently that to raise leaders, we need to first raise servants. wow, that really hit me.
      ~Darla

      Delete
  4. so much profound truth. So much for me to learn,and to relearn, and learn yet again. Thank you for another inspiring blog post.I know it doesn't help to wish but I long for a good visit with you all. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning......seems i learn hard. :) i would delight in a heart to heart chat with you. I think of you often and pray that your heart will find joy in serving in whatever way God has for you.
      ~Darla

      Delete
  5. I have had to learn this lesson over many days...and years...in the good old US of A. I am ever so thankful for the good Daddy we have to teach us what we need to know...as often as it takes til we embrace it fully!

    Love and blessings to you, my friend...
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.