16 December, 2009

School or Relationships?

We've had a rough couple of days this week. I'm fighting a cold and i feel a bit lousy, not mention my attitudes affect about 8 other people. This afternoon i ended up having to apologize to the children and after a round of group hugs and prayer (trust me, we needed it), i decided to completely rearrange our day. I was planning on the kids working on school while the twins were napping and Josh was already in bed. Eric was sweeping the kitchen floor and preparing to do 2 pages of math, which he was dreading. And then I remembered with a jolt that one of the main reasons we homeschool is for relationship. Lately i've been in a bit of a "push" mode, forcing myself and the kids to do school, no matter what. I decided phooey on that and informed the children that we're skipping school today and instead, we're going to drink hot tea, cuddle under a few blankets, and i'm going to read to them. The response was nothing less than dramatic. Eric started using the broom to create a few dance moves and saying how he feels like he's in a dream. Emily and Zac cleaned up the living room in no time, we hauled Josh out of bed ( he kept saying what a "skinny" nap he had), lighted a few candles, and started reading. When i looked at their shining eyes, shining because of joy instead of tears, i knew that it was God who rearranged my day.

8 comments:

  1. You go Mama!! :) Can I come and cuddle too? I will even bring some cookies!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a better idea....how about I stay HOME and cuddle my little bugs in a rug?! :) Keep the right perspective...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Darla! That is wonderful! Thanks for the timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's the best kind of homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeschooling or no homeschooling...we all need this reminder to stop and take a break from the busy scedule and spend quality time with our family. Thanx for the reminder, Darla! God bless you, Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed talking to you at the banquet the other night...it was the hightlight of the night for me. :) This is a good reminder for me too...thanks!!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I found you(: Very inspiring!! Keep writing~

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name (if it is not in your Google ID) so we know who you are. Thanks.